Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Of lilies and pesto

Since last Thursday, I've had a series of horrible headaches that only occur while I'm at work. Today, I found the culprit of my pain -- a big pile of dead lilies in the trash can.

I kept proclaiming that someone on the third floor had lilies. I sneezed, my eyes watered and my head pounded to the point of nausea, but no one understood.

Lilies cause me severe discomfort yet they're so darn pretty who can blame someone for wanting them around. I love to look at them, too. I've even gotten excited when I've received them. They're beautiful and unique. But, that smell! It makes me want to throw up.

The dead lilies made me think of my other nemesis, pesto. I love pesto almost more than I hate the smell of lilies. I could eat it by the gallon. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to pine nuts. On occasion, I get in such a mood for pesto that I can't resist eating it -- an event typically followed by violent vomiting.

Seeing the lilies in the trash can made me feel a little victorious. I beat the lilies -- Amy 1, Lilies 0. But, mark my words: the battle has only begun. Everyone loves lilies. They'll keep showing up in confined spaces. In the end, they may be the death of me. Unless pesto gets me first.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cryptobadger said...

I've never met anyone with such an intense love-hate relationship with pesto.

I think this has the makings of a great Melville adaption. Or at least a creepy Bronte-esque novel.

1:41 PM  
Blogger sweetassgrandma said...

The pine nut must play a key role because it is my real enemy.

It's kinda like Romeo & Juliet. Pesto and I are in love but the pine nuts that made us are keeping us apart.

Kinda.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home