Friday, January 20, 2006

Movin' On Up

After nine months at my new job, I have been promoted. My day-to-day work will be roughly the same, only with more time to do exclusive stories and, perhaps, travel. I got a raise and should get bigger bonuses.

Getting this promotion made me reflect on how my work life has changed over the past year. I worked normal hours. I got holidays plus three weeks off. I reported on stories throughout my days, but took time to workout, take guitar lessons or just wander around town. I made more money than I ever had for a much smaller amount of work.

I'm not complaining; it's weird and nice.

I can never say enough nice things about my new place of work. And, I think it's because the five years prior were less than kind. Most who read this blog either worked in the same place or in the same industry and know what I'm talking about: no pay, no time off, no sleep, no life, no respect. The only thing it had going for it was a small group of smart, funny friends.

Here's to working for a progressive, employee-focused company and for moving away from crappy management, crappy schedules and crappy pay!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mir said...

I have lost my ability to spell and/or type.

Yay for you! The grass is all kinds of greener on this side of the fence.

11:08 PM  
Blogger sweetassgrandma said...

Thanks, guys. Joey and I celebrated by watching Must Love Dogs.

I don't need to tell you how that went. His post says it all.

Poor John Cusack.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home