Friday, January 06, 2006

Emmett Who?

While reading about everyone's favorite Christmas/holiday movies, I was shocked to discover that no one mentioned Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. As a child, I looked forward to this Jim Henson musical every year. In college, my roommate Suzy had the VHS and we would watch it all year long.

Since no one mentioned it, and The Roommate had no idea what I was talking about, I did some random polling around the office. No one had ever heard of Emmett Otter or his Jug-Band Christmas. Again, shocked.

The story centers on a poor otter family that risks everything in order to win the cash prize of a talent contest. For once, Ma Otter and Emmett want to give each other a nice Christmas. I won't go into too much detail and spoil the ending for you. But, it's full of great music, a heartwarming story and the early muppet days when you could still see strings.

I just purchased the special edition DVD, which is not exactly like the original but still has the same schmaltzy story of a poor otter and his mom trying to make ends meet.

I highly recommend that all you Rudolf and Christmas Vacation fans watch it. Let me know if you need to borrow it... Or, if you feel like taking a chance like Emmett and his Ma, you can order it on Amazon for $7.99.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mir said...

You'll be pleased to know that I already OWN Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas. And on my visit to the Museum of the Moving Image one year it was one of my choices for things to watch in the screening room.

Emmett rocks it hard.

2:16 PM  
Blogger sweetassgrandma said...

Thank you, Mir! You have restored my faith in all things Henson.

Now, let's go get a "Mess of Mama's Barbecue" and row down to Watertown. I'm in the mood for a talent show.

Do you have the original version? Or the newer version? Lots of people complain about the special edition DVD...Kermit was eliminated. But, I hear it's worth it for the behind the scenes documentary.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mir said...

I got it in the dual pack with the Muppet Family Christmas from ma and pa last year. I'm almost positive that Kermie is in it but I didn't watch it this year so my memory is a touch foggy... maybe I will tonight.

I love the Henson. Love. Cried like a baby when he died. Have the book, have Fraggle Rock on DVD. Got Season One of the Muppet Show this year. Love.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home