Thursday, November 24, 2005

A Heaping Helping of Guilt with a Side of Thanks, Please

On this day of thanksgiving, I find myself dwelling on what a bad daughter, girlfriend and dog/house sitter I am.

When my mom and I finally got in touch with each other, she gave me the, "It's not the same without you," speech. This is the second time that I've missed Thanksgiving with the family; last time, I was home by the day after Thanksgiving.

When she asked my dad if he wanted to wish me a happy Thanksgiving, he said, "No. I'm mad at her."

Meanwhile, the roommate seemed disappointed that I told my parents I'd be spending the holiday dog/house sitting, rather than telling them I'd be spending it with him. This is despite the fact that I spent the majority of Thanksgiving with the dogs and will stay at the house over the weekend.

Unfortunately, not even the dog/house sitting gig is working out. I locked myself and two of the dogs out of the house. Of course, I was in pajamas, knew no one in the neighborhood, had no cell phone and wasn't sure how to break into the house... Luckily, after searching for the spare key and trying to get into a window, I found an open door on the back of the house. I probably should have tried it first, but I thought I remembered locking it.

Despite the guilt, I'm extremely thankful for a family and the roommate who want to spend the holiday with me; thankful for the roommate's friends and family for inviting me to a lovely and delicious dinner; and thankful for having a dog/house sitting gig with the three best-behaved dogs in the world.

It's hard to please everyone. Next year, I'll try harder. Hopefully, I won't lock anyone out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home