Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A sad ending

On Saturday, I was very excited to tell my cow story.

Driving to pilates class at 8am, I met a cow head on in the middle of Market Street. I stopped my car, the cow walked around and continued on its path up Market Street. The cow looked confused and had a bloody nose. Someone needed to take it where it belonged.

When I got to pilates class, a deputy had pulled a car over in front of the studio. So, I interrupted him and told him about the cow. I explained that I saw it on Market Street and it appeared to be heading east. I told my cow tale at pilates class and at Mir's slumber party.

Today, I was sad to find out that the cow, which turned out to be a bull, was shot and killed on Court Square. The police said it was the only way to handle the situation since the bull had damaged a car and scared some people. The officer said that tranquilizing the bull was not an option because it contaminates the meat.

When I worked at the local TV station, we would get police reports full of "livestock running at large" entries. Now, I worry that so many of them ended like my tragic cow story.

With all of the livestock that gets loose in the city and county, I would hope that the local authorities would find a better way of handling these situations.

2 Comments:

Blogger youngblueyes said...

your story makes me sad. however, having lived on a farm and been the daughter of a recreational farmer all of her life, i must tell you that most stories do not end this way. the late night phone calls and knocks on the door, of "are you missing a cow" and my dad running out in the middle of the night, hopping on the 4 wheeler and using the dim lights to count his 40+ cows. how he remembers how many he has is beyond me. but it always works out in the end. sad that the guy got lost in harrisonburg. sounds like the owner is a real dumbass and should have probably been shot instead.

11:51 PM  
Blogger youngblueyes said...

*meant to say, sorry the cow got lost in harrisonburg. not the guy. that would be even worse if they shot a guy in the middle of market street!

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home