Monday, February 27, 2006

Driven to perfection

A new "bonus" policy has been implemented at work and it's totally stressing me out.

I still get quarterly bonuses based on story hit counts. However, errors are now factored in. If the newsroom reduces errors, we can get our bonuses juiced by another 20%.

Here's the problem: my group's error rate was so low over the past six months -- the time period used to come up with the new error reduction targets -- that our bonuses will be upped 10% if we only get one error and 20% if we get no errors.

No ERRORS!

So far, we're error free after January and most of February. We have to make it through the end of the first quarter, March 31.

My group lives in fear. We're afraid to get newsfeedback emails from readers. We share stories of error nightmares. I threw a cookie sheet one night when I thought I made an error. My editor threw her phone when she was called about it. (Fortunately, it wasn't an error...it was a close call though.)

Moreover, I think this new policy has contributed to me not blogging. I'm overwhelmed by the need to get everything I write for work perfect and I can't think about anything else. I'm hoping that by purging this newfound need for perfection that my mind will relax and I'll be able to think about something besides being perfect.

2 Comments:

Blogger youngblueyes said...

gle-meister... share the website where i can read your story and give you hits! if that's possible without a swank membership. :)

5:52 PM  
Blogger sweetassgrandma said...

I'll have to charge you a million dollars to read what I write. Make the check payable to me and send it to my house.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home